Thursday, March 11, 2010

NYC: New Leaf Cafe

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and I had to get out of the apartment.  Ethan (husband) and I went for a walk to the Cloisters, then grabbed brunch at the New Leaf Cafe.  I've been here once before with a couple friends and the only thing I remember was that it took way too long for us to get our food.  This time around the service was very fast and I was quite pleased with the food (at least my food), maybe because it was just the two of us.  There is an outdoor area which is a great place to sit on warmer days.

Brunch came with a complimentary glass of fresh squeezed orange juice or grapefruit juice.  I ordered the Croque Monsieur smoked ham, gruyere, brioche, bechamel sauce with two eggs sunnyside up.  It was good and filling...I probably didn't need to get the two eggs since I'm sure the sandwich alone would have been more than enough.  Ethan ordered the German Style Baked Apple Pancake with Vermont Maple Syrup. The pancake looked pretty but didn't really have much umph.  It looked like they forgot to fill in the pancake with....food.  For $18, it's definitely not something to get again.  Luckily I was feeling generous, so I shared my sandwich.

Aside from the food, I really enjoyed the photographs of squash all over the restaurant.  It wasn't until we were walking out, that I noticed they displayed the book which all of the photos were based.  The book is called "The Compleat Squash: The Passionate Growers Guide to Pumpkins, Squashes, and Gourds".

The New Leaf Cafe

German Style Baked Apple Pancake

Croque Monsieur with two eggs sunnyside up

The New Leaf Cafe (map)
1 Margaret Corbin Drive
212-568-5323 

No comments:

Post a Comment