Monday, April 12, 2010

Zingerman's Delicatessen - Ann Arbor

On my recent trip back home to Ann Arbor, Michigan I ate lunch at Zingerman's Deli.  I love this place!  Is it strange that the first thing I want to do in Ann Arbor is go to Zingerman's - a New York style deli?  I went here with my husband Ethan and brother Jason.  I never know what to order when I see the list of all the sandwiches on the board, so I did something completely out of character for me...I agreed to split a sandwich with Jason.  When Jason was halfway through the second half sandwich I realized that he wasn't going to share.  That's okay, I didn't want to share, either!

So, would I say it's pretty close to a NYC style deli?  In some ways yes, and in many ways, no.  The sandwiches are made with great quality ingredients, and in some people's eyes, they're oversized.  The difference I think is that Zingerman's is just too pretty.  You would never walk into a NYC deli that looks like this.  The staff are all ridiculously friendly and they never rush you - this isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't happen the City.  And the differences are the big reasons why I love Zingerman's ; )

Between three of us, we ordered the following:

#2 Zingerman's Reuben
Zingerman's corned beef, Switzerland Swiss cheese, sauerkraut & Russian dressing on grilled, hand-sliced Jewish rye bread.


What Jason says, "I remember this sandwich being so much better...like "this is the best sandwich ever" good.  Don't get me wrong, I loved every bite of the delicious grill Zingerman's rye bread and tender corned beef (which I didn't share with anyone), but I don't know about $15 and long lines (luckily the lines weren't too bad that Saturday).  And I almost ate another one before I left, but it wasn't good enough to spend $30 on 2 sandwiches in one weekend..."

#13 Sherman's Sure Choice
Zingerman's corned beef, Switzerland Swiss cheese, coleslaw & Russian dressing on Jewish rye bread.

Ethan's not always a fan of grilled (melted cheese) sandwiches.  He thought the bread was really good and was excited to eat the Reuben that wasn't grilled.  He loved the pickle too!

#85 J.V.W's Detroit St. BBQ 
Zingerman's BBQ Amish chicken, Nueske's applewood-smoked bacon & coleslaw on grilled sourdough bread.  Served with a side of applewood-smoked baked beans.





I loved my sandwich! The BBQ chicken was amazing with the coleslaw and bacon...my mouth is watering all over again just thinking about it.  I have to agree with Jason on the price, $15 for a sandwich is a bit much, but without thinking about the price, the sandwich was still great!

Here are some additional random photos:







Zingerman's Deli 
422 Detroit St. (map)
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

No comments:

Post a Comment