Tuesday, April 20, 2010

NYC: Frankies 457 (Brooklyn)

I came here this past weekend to meet a friend for dinner.  Scott lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn so we decided to go to Frankies 457.  They have another location in Manhattan but any excuse to come to my former borough makes me happy.  Coming down to Brooklyn really made me miss my old neighborhood (Brooklyn Heights).  On our way to dinner we picked up some bagels at Montague Bagels (aka, "Hot Bagels"), the very best bagels in world...yes, the best in the WORLD!

We decided to go out for Italian since Ethan and I are planning a trip to Italy in June.  Scott's been to Italy several times, and we thought coming to Frankies would get us in the mood and he can share some of his secret places we have to check out.  I've actually been wanting to come here to Frankies for some time now, but never quite made until now.  The restaurant is in a beautiful, intimate space that really makes you want to kick back and enjoy dinner and conversation with great friends.  It does get pretty crowded but we never felt rushed.  We ended up sitting at the bar, which was perfectly comfortable for the three of us.

We started off with three orders of the Crostini: Lardo, Guanciale, and mushroom:



Antipasti

It took me a little while to figure out what I wanted.  The menu isn't very big at all, which is always a good sign.  You hope that with such a small menu, whatever you end up ordering it's going to be good.  Scott ordered the Gnocchi, I ordered the meatballs and Ethan ordered the Cavatelli.  The winner of the night was hands down the Cavatelli.  The pasta looked like little worms, but oh my gosh, they tasted so good.  The gnocchi was good, but it didn't really stand out in flavor.  My meatballs were a bit disappointing.  They weren't bad, but I was hoping for more flavor especially since it included pine nuts and raisins.  There weren't many raisins (very tiny little bit)...plus, I should've known better.  Ethan makes a amazing meatballs with pine nuts and currants - his are definitely better.

House-made Gnocchi Marinara and Fresh Ricotta

Meatballs with pine nuts and raisins

House-made Cavatelli with Faiccos Hot Sausage & Browned Sage Butter

For dessert, Scott and Ethan both ordered the Ricotta Cheese Cake and I ordered the Tiramisu.  The cheese cake was a bit dry and cake-y but the Tiramisu was delicious!  The next time I come back, I know what I would order.  Maybe next time I'll have to come for brunch.


Frankies 457 (map)
457 Court Street (bet. Luquer & 4th Place)
Brooklyn, NY 11231

No comments:

Post a Comment