Monday, April 19, 2010

NYC: Cachapas Y Mas - Venezuelan Sandwiches

Since I moved to Inwood last July, I really haven't explored many of the restaurants in the neighborhood.  It was Friday and I was craving something local, so Ethan suggested Cachapas Y Mas - our first time here.

We both ordered the patacones, which is fried green plantain smashed into a tortilla shape and used as the bread.  Ethan ordered the Chicharron (fried pork) and I ordered the Pernil (roasted pork).  Both were good...I wouldn't say great, but I really have to give this place one more chance.  Maybe next time I'll have to try the Cachapas (baby corn cakes), or the Arepas.

The space is really small, only two booths and four stools facing the front window.  There was a constant flow of people coming in and out, most people were taking their food to go.  I really had high hopes for falling in love this this fried plantain sandwich - everything about this included something I would love.  The only problem was that it really did feel quite heavy and greasy - not that that's bad, but as much sauce I would put on it, it just tasted kind of bland.  I will definitely be coming back to check out more items on their menu.







Patacones Chicharron (fried pork)

Patacones (fried green plantain)


Cachapas Y Mas (map)
107 Dyckman Street (bet. Nagle & Post Ave)
New York, NY 10040

No comments:

Post a Comment